Yesterday I was watching TV and suddenly someone mentioned he had been to Turks and Caicos. My curiosity never leaves me alone and I immediately googled it and discovered it's in the Caribbean. Then I started thinking about other 20 God forsaken places I heard of and have no idea where they are or what's there. That's how I came up with our new " column" here: Where the hell is...
(The only problem when you start searching islands, you never stop FINDING them!)
The Turks and Caicos Islands are a British Overseas Territory consisting of two groups of sub-tropical islands in the West Indies, the larger Caicos Islands and the smaller Turks Islands, known for tourism and as an offshore financial centre.
* Capital: Cockburn Town
*Largest city: Providenciales
*Largest city: Providenciales
*Area: 417 km²
*Population: 36,000, of whom approximately 22,500 live on Providenciales in the Caicos Islands
*Population: 36,000, of whom approximately 22,500 live on Providenciales in the Caicos Islands
*Demographics: Eight of the thirty islands in the territory are inhabited. The people of the Turks and Caicos Islands are called "Turks and Caicos Islanders".
*Citizenship: Because the Turks and Caicos is a British Overseas Territory and not an independent country, they cannot confer citizenship. In 2002, the British Overseas Territories act restored full British citizenship status to all inhabitants of British Overseas Territories, including the Turks and Caicos. *Culture: The Turks and Caicos Islands are most well known for ripsaw music. The island's most popular sports are fishing, sailing, football and cricket (which is the national sport).
*Getting there: The Turks and Caicos Islands currently have 2 international airports (TWO??), in Providenciales and Grand Turk. Altogether, there are seven airports, located on each of the inhabited islands. Five have paved runways (three of which are approximately 2000 long and one is approximately 1000 m long), and the remaining two have unpaved runways (one of which is approximately 1000 m long and t
he other is significantly shorter).
he other is significantly shorter).I'm certainly not a beach babe, but if I ever go there, I'm not sure I would fly ...take a look at the runway!
FEAR all over!


9 reacties:
sounds like a a bit of paradise for the moment!
heard of the carribeans before, but not this island. not sure if it would be someth for me. (it looks very touristic!)
but if you're going, i'll join off course :-)
maybe i can check out their glow worm tour (!!?!!)
http://www.silverdeep.com/fishing/Glow%20Worms.htm
forgot:
just to inform you that glowing worms can be very romantic!
I can't check the glowing worm thing, will try later.
I don't think it's something for me either...staying on a place that has only sun+ sand + sea to offer isn't my idea of ideal holiday.
Could do it for a weekend though ;)
Weekends sounds like the deal!
with the right amount of mojitos, off course!
Exactly!
Mojitos would make it a much better place ;)
I must be check out this island this summer I think so :)
if you go there Pipo , please let us know and send us some pics, so we can publish them there as "our reader eye" ;)
Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.
Easily I assent to but I about the brief should prepare more info then it has.
Post a Comment